Google Ads
Home Forums Links Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Pro DJ Forums > Music Production and DJ Techniques > Mixing and Scratching Techniques

Mixing and Scratching Techniques This is where you can talk about the many DJ techniques.

Old 11-11-2005, 11:41 AM
PDF Member

No... same BPM is not the way Dart.
if u dnt have the drops or fx... simply pump up ur crowd with ur microphone.
Get some talking skills n u'll do the coolest transitions all by urself.

tips:
slow to fast:
"COME ON now Everybody..and let me see you Groove"... say the first part a bit faster than the 2nd one. Then Add some "Ho Ho " to the Bass Beats

fast to slow:
Usually effects like Brake, tail echo do the work here.

P.S: not many DJs can be heard animating parties. So if u can do it, u go 8)
Sponsored Links
Your Ad Here!
Old 11-11-2005, 12:12 PM
PDF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osk

Thanks OSK, but those links are dead.
I wasn't necessarily talking about blending genres. Just the process of putting together a hip hop mix. Are there any other djs you would suggest I listen to..(other than the obvious no no nos--Clue, Whoo Kid, etc.)?
Old 11-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Like Osk Said, Green Lantern.
He Always Has Solid Mixtapes.
Mix Master Mike Also.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:38 AM
PDF O. G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart1516
HipHop...
I guess I'm not phrasing my question properly...its hard to put into words...

I mean, I guess I'm trying to tie in the whole idea of beatmatching and mixing. Maybe I don't thoroughly understand what beatmatching entails...
Dart,

I am not sure if this info will help but many times much of my mix set is about the same bpm, (even though the songs vary a lot in their original bpm, I will play them faster or slower to keep them all about the same...)

However in doing this I usally get going faster and faster, because I will end up playing a normally faster song at a slower rate just so I can mix it in then I will gradually speed it up to normal, thus changing the over all tempo, this will keep happening through out the set changing from where I start from (lets say songs at 134 bpm) to a much faster tempo (lets say about 144 bpm).

It usually is at the fastest about 3/4 of the way through my mix set (but oh wait I have to slow it all back down) So I will try to find a song that is naturally at 134 or so which has a great breakdown (I have a lot of songs that are house but break down to a more hiphop beat (even though the bpm is still the same). The sound of the song (or the way the beat is) sounds like the song has slowed down. So I will mix it in during the house portion at the sped up and I will slow the song down back to normal (134 bpm) during this more hip-hop-ety break down.

I hope this helps...

Last edited by jayo : 11-12-2005 at 06:42 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:49 PM
PDF Junior Member

^Thank you Jayo (and everyone else). I think your answer fully gets at the root of my question. I also spoke to DJ Osk on aim and he was very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2005, 10:08 PM
PDF Senior Member

I either use a loop sample, backspin, brake effect or an echo to do it. I rarely just slam it in but I have done it and can be cool if done right.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 AM
PDF Newbie

Ressurrecting this topic just to remember that you can mix drastically different BPM tracks easily if they are or can be set to have half/doube BPM of the other.

So a 100 BPM tracks goes perfectly well with a 200 BPM track.
80 BPM with a 160 BPM, 70 with 140 BPM and so it goes. When you do this, you need to be very careful, cause it will be a mess when one track arrives at the BREAK.

Remeber that 1 compass will be equal to 2 compasses of the other track, but the beat will flow! Sometimes it's a shock to the crowd, but I never had a problem with this, normally people love! I always do some mixing with this technic to mix some really slow tracks like Gladiator theme (We are Free) with hardcore techno tracks! ;-)

And try not to do this to reduce BPM... ya know... faster the better! That's my motto, man...
It's all music, It's all music, It's all music...
- Endymion
Old 03-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFaust View Post
Ressurrecting this topic just to remember that you can mix drastically different BPM tracks easily if they are or can be set to have half/doube BPM of the other.

So a 100 BPM tracks goes perfectly well with a 200 BPM track.
80 BPM with a 160 BPM, 70 with 140 BPM and so it goes. When you do this, you need to be very careful, cause it will be a mess when one track arrives at the BREAK.

Remeber that 1 compass will be equal to 2 compasses of the other track, but the beat will flow! Sometimes it's a shock to the crowd, but I never had a problem with this, normally people love! I always do some mixing with this technic to mix some really slow tracks like Gladiator theme (We are Free) with hardcore techno tracks! ;-)

And try not to do this to reduce BPM... ya know... faster the better! That's my motto, man...
When you begin playing at a club you always start out with slow BPM and work you way up slowly to the high energy (Faster) BPM. I also do that when I spin at Mobile events the majority of time. In a club that is what you should be doing and when I use to spin at clubs I would get away from mixing two songs with that difference of a BPM the most I would do is either +2 or -2 on your pitch. I did not like to go above 2 or below 2 sync the music would sound like chipmunks back in the days. But at this time and age with all the software’s taken over you will get away with playing songs at much higher BPM's.
One example I have are some songs can have a Accapela intro like "Hit It" which can be slammed in. This can help you make the transition to higher BPM's faster. Hope this helps!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:36 PM
PDF Junior Member

Default Just my experience

I am used to playing and mixing house most of the time, I was at a club in Scottsdale here in Phoenix, AZ,. I was kindda auditioning for a dj job there as a part time gig, this guy wanted me to beat match hiphop, and I was like what?? How in the hell can I do that, when the damn' bass doesn't play every 4 beats sometimes, Hip-hop is all erratic drumming these days' but anyways I tried to do my best and he didn't' like it, and they don't use mic's either to MC the parties.(6 hrs of straight radio hits)
He wanted me to beat-match all night long, I was like I can't dj like this... they would give you a playlist to play from; which is easier but, didn't want to beat-match hip-hop and r&b all night. I just stopped going there.. No back spin's no dj tricks. no looping nothing... just straight beat matching all night and had to start the song from right in the beginning of each song's...

By the way he was talking about DJ AM.. I have never heard him or seen him, how is DJ Am by the way??? anyone any clue????

Imo, every dj is unique in their own way, the basic's of dj'n is the same but, it's all about making people dance on the floor and not sucking at doing so, as long as you can make the crowd happy and the dance floor is full, you are a good dj...

I don't use Serato but the club did, and it had something that you could see visually to beatmatch songs, can I do that in Traktor???

www.djgorkhali.com
www.myspace.com\djgorkhali
www.neprocks.com

Korg Zero 4
2 x Pioneer CDJ800
Dell Inspiron 1505E Duo Core
Korg PadKontrol & X-Session Pro
HP Pavillion 2.4Ghz AMD processor
Old 11-25-2008, 02:56 PM
PDF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgorkhali View Post
I am used to playing and mixing house most of the time, I was at a club in Scottsdale here in Phoenix, AZ,. I was kindda auditioning for a dj job there as a part time gig, this guy wanted me to beat match hiphop, and I was like what?? How in the hell can I do that, when the damn' bass doesn't play every 4 beats sometimes, Hip-hop is all erratic drumming these days' but anyways I tried to do my best and he didn't' like it, and they don't use mic's either to MC the parties.(6 hrs of straight radio hits)
He wanted me to beat-match all night long, I was like I can't dj like this... they would give you a playlist to play from; which is easier but, didn't want to beat-match hip-hop and r&b all night. I just stopped going there.. No back spin's no dj tricks. no looping nothing... just straight beat matching all night and had to start the song from right in the beginning of each song's...

By the way he was talking about DJ AM.. I have never heard him or seen him, how is DJ Am by the way??? anyone any clue????

Imo, every dj is unique in their own way, the basic's of dj'n is the same but, it's all about making people dance on the floor and not sucking at doing so, as long as you can make the crowd happy and the dance floor is full, you are a good dj...

I don't use Serato but the club did, and it had something that you could see visually to beatmatch songs, can I do that in Traktor???

Can you throw us up a sample of how you DJ then? maybe a 30 min mix?
DJ EVENT PLANNER!